Thursday, April 19, 2012

Henna and Hair

I attend Natural Hair Meet Ups and learn different aspects of the hair world while meeting new naturals. 

I attended a Meet Up with Atlanta Naturals at Curls of the World in Stone Mountain Georgia. The Meet Up was "All about Henna" and the owner Rhee gave us plenty of straight forward information about Henna and Hair. We were able to observe a demonstration of the henna treatment with volunteers from the group making the henna mix. 


Henna is comprised of ground up leaves of the plant Lawsonia Inermis or henna tree. (there are varying degrees of potency that depend on how well the leaves are sifted, leaving no branches, roots, or twigs) and contain molecules that attach to the hair strand providing thickness to the hair and a red-orange translucent shine to the natural hair color. 

How henna looks when you purchase it. A 

I bought a 2 cups of Henna powder and used Rhee's Recipe for Medium Length Hair
1/2 cup of Pure Henna Powder
1/4 cup of warm purified water
1/4 cup pure lemon juice (I used lemon juice from the bottle, but you can use real lemons)

Mix ingredients together to make a mixture the consistency of cake batter. Leave covered in a warm place overnight to allow the plans pigments to be released.
Apply Henna in sections to the hair from root to tip and leave on overnight or 30 minutes under a steamer. Wash Henna out with conditioner ONLY, and I would suggest using a cheaper conditioner for the first 2-3 washes. 

Here are some of my pictures of the process 










Since my natural hair color is black, there is no color change. My curls are more defined and my hair radiates more shine. I have been wearing wash n go's lately, but I will keep you updated on the pros and cons of the henna :-) 





Was this information helpful? Have you tried Henna?

Check out my You Tube video application of Henna 


1 comment:

  1. Did you buy the Henna locally? If yes, where?
    Thanks

    ReplyDelete

Curlfriend Social Network