Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Georgia's Winter Storm

It was truly a unforgettable day in Georgia as we battled snow and icy conditions that led to a city being on gridlock within one hour.

This picture illustrates how we Georgians were of the mindset that, I'll believe that we will get snow when I see it! No one took the weather warning very seriously

It started off as a cold and brisk morning when I headed to work. I had been watching the news all night so I knew there were severe conditions ahead. After my meeting Decatur, I began to head to the South side of town where my office and home are. I never imagined that my 30-45 minute drive would turn into a 3-4 hour icy nightmare!





I had several friends that were stranded in traffic, had children spend the night at school or daycare centers, abandoned their cars to walk home, or just waited it out and had to sleep in their car until the next afternoon when the temperature finally warmed to above freezing.











None of my neighbors were at home when I peeked out my door at 3am. I know they were probably stranded in their cars because of the icy roads but hopefully ended up staying overnight somewhere warm and with other friendly people.


My friends and neighbors began arriving home after 2PM when the sun warmed the roads. It was nice to see people welcoming their loved ones home. It almost felt like we were experiencing the Apocalypse or something! 

Currently there are school closing and they are advising no one to drive tomorrow because once again the evening is bringing freezing temperatures and icy road conditions. I will be home from work another day so I'm okay with the how things turned out.

We can talk about lack of planning and incompetent of city and state officials on another post! LOL!

Storm photos from WSBTV website

No comments:

Post a Comment

Curlfriend Social Network