Friday, September 28, 2012

The KinkyCurlyCoilyMe Fall Castor Oil Challenge 2012

If you follow me on FACEBOOK or Instagram (coconatural) you know that I registered for the 2012 Fall Castor Oil Challenge with KinkyCurlyCoilyMe


When I did my Big Chop in 2011, my hair was pretty short, at least shorter than I was used to every having my hair. Since then, I have been looking for length past my shoulders. 




 When I was using relaxers to maintain my hair, I had similar issues with retaining length for my hair. It was never a problem with thickness or overall healthiness of my hair strands, I did experience the reputable sore scalp syndrome. (Yes I made that up). My scalp looked a mess and while I was able to keep the dry skin and burns from getting out of control, there were always areas that had to be covered no matter what styles I wore. 





I've seen a few bloggers talking about the Castor Oil Challenge including KinkyCurlyCoily Me and Mahogany Curls. When I read up on the benefits of castor oil and using the carrier oil as a tool to increase hair growth, I thought to myself, I can do this! I also saw the difference it made for thinning edges and thickening of the hair strands of other naturals. 

I have started using Jamaican Black Castor Oil (I picked the one with lavender) to massage into my scalp at least 3 times a week.


 Its been an extra step in my routine but I have been able to make it happen so far. Now the weekly check in with KinkyCurlyCoilyMe! is a little bit more difficult to work into my schedule. When I do check in, there is a tremendous amount of support being built around healthy hair habits. Gotta love it! 


I even talked my mom into joining me on the challenge! :-) 

Now I know what works for one natural, may not work for others, so please take the time to educate yourself before changing your hair care regimen to follow someone else;s. I have have positive results using castor oil in my hair care regime already, so using it in a different capacity was a no brainer for me.

I will keep posting on my progress, and the challenge ends in December so I look forward to a length check around that time.....Wish me Luck! 

Coco~

2 comments:

  1. I use castor oil, but I mix it into my leave in conditioner. This way I don't have an extra step. Since I wash my hair 2-3 times a week I know I'm getting castor oil.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Castor Oil is good for hair as like almond oil and olive oil. For more effectiveness you can growth serum in oil.
    Jamaican Black Castor

    ReplyDelete

Curlfriend Social Network