Sunday, January 12, 2014

Making History ~ First Black Mayor for the City of Brunswick



It was a historic day in the City of Brunswick and for my family as my dad was sworn in as the Mayor for the City of Brunswick last week. It was a crazy week for me with my job hounding me to no end, but I had to black out all of that madness to be actively present for my dad's great moment. I am more proud of pops than I could ever imagine! 


My dad, a military veteran, returned to his hometown of Brunswick, Georgia when he retired of 30 years in the Air Force. Our family traveled so much when I was growing up. We lived on 3 different continents before I was 15 years old. (N. America, Europe, and Asia, yes I know what a continent is lol ;-) I finally graduated from a private Department of Defense operated international school in Kaiserslautern, Germany (K-Town represents!!) and I moved back to the States when I was college bound! 




When my parents moved back to the States for good, my dad retired as Chief Master Sergeant Harvey. He moved to Brunswick where he served as the Human Resources Director for Jekyll Island. He soon joined the public service arena as Commissioner for the City of Brunswick and Mayor Pro-Tem before running for his current role as Mayor for the City of Brunswick. 







The entire ceremony can be viewed online below


Special Moments

17:59 Mayor Harvey gets sworn in
20:00 Mayor Harvey accepts the gavel and City Parking pass
21:20 Mayor Harvey First Speech
1:27:00 - Mayor Harvey gives thanks to daughter, Carnella Harvey

Here are some other news links that are talking about the First Black Mayor for the City of Brunswick
The Florida Star Story Here 
Jacksonville News Story Here
News for Georgia Video Here

LIKE Mayor Cornell Harvey on Facebook Click HERE



No comments:

Post a Comment

Curlfriend Social Network